Monday, August 6, 2007

The Solitary Cyclist

The title is a nod to Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle - Solitary Cyclist is one among his sherlockian works. I am a fan.

I am a cyclist first and a biker next. I really love cycling - so much so that once I've even done a 14 km stretch inside the city! Then why , you may be inclined to ask , do we not see you more often riding your first love ? Well! The college starts 9.00 am ; by 8.45 am I am barely up from my bed and searching for my toothbrush - ergo, I may be excused.

Still, given the leisure of time and good weather - there's nothing like a gentle bicycle ride down the city by-lanes . Its a bit risky to try this sport on the busy city streets - so keep to less busier streets and the by-lanes.

Why? Why? When the entire world is crazed about getting as fast as they can get - Why cycling ? It has got to do with the lifestyles we have made for ourselves. I get tired of the rat-race too often. I need my time out. In my bicycle , slowly going along - watching as the world hurries ahead. I'll tell you how it feels like - watching an entire movie in slow motion. A bike ride can never give me that. I get to see old couples holding hands to cross the roads, little kids on the way to school - sulking and dragging along their busy parents , everyone busy and hurrying along and time's almost stopped for me - man , its almost surreal!

And I am solitary - there isn't anyone cycling to work /college nowadays. Even school kids - I never see them on bicycles on my way. Everyone should try it out sometime - Just slow your world down - enjoy the ride . There are simpler pleasures that always bring more joy.

The bike ride is "Riding with the wind" . Cycling is "surfing the breeze" . :-)

And by the way, did I mention it is healthy ?

5 comments:

Prateeksha said...

the best among your works.simple,still elegant.

Abhi said...

Good post da! I think all bikers have been cycle lovers at one point or another! Its just that, the faster the machine, the more the thrill(that's what its for me). So in that search for thrill, many forget their roots, like everything else!

Abhijith said...

Great post man !!!
Could really relate with it . In fact, all bikers can relate with it .
Keep up the good work ..

Mr. Commonsensical said...

Good poetic post... to say the least.

Maybe you ought to ride a cycle more often to college and maybe you should campaign "come-to-college-cycling-day"?

First get our pot-bellied HODs on a bicycle. Would be fun.

Hows the idea?

Ranger said...

good one..so much of truth..and wonderful writing style..u really shud post more often